How Do You Get a Military ID Card?


Active duty and veteran military personnel and sponsored dependents may apply for a Uniformed Services ID, or USID, card by first registering in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, or DEERS. Complete DD Form 1172 -2, Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment, located on the Common Access Card website.

Final verification and processing for USID applicants is done in person at a Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System, or RAPIDS, site. Military personnel who are sponsoring an applicant must take two forms of original identification. Valid government-issued picture identification, such as a passport or driver's license, is one of the two required pieces.

Prior to finalizing an application in person at a RAPIDS site, dependents must first submit a DD Form 1172 -2 online through the RAPID Self Service system, which is digitally signed by the sponsor. Alternatively, sponsors may sign the form in front of a verifying official while at the RAPIDS site, have the form notarized, or sign the form using a general Power of Attorney. Dependents are also required to take two forms of identification when visiting a RAPIDS site.

Seven types of USID cards are available, and the type of card issued depends on the sponsor's position in the military and the applicant's status with the sponsor.