The Marine educational facilities were originally set up on the island in 1909, in the form of an officer training school. The recruit depot grew out of the school and was formally separated from it in 1915. Since that time, the depot has been in continuous operation. First established as Marine Barracks, Port Royal, S.C, the depot was renamed in 1918 and again in 1976.
As of 2015, all female recruits, and most male recruits who enlist at a location east of the Mississippi, train on the island. Women have officially served in the Marines since 1918, and the first platoon of female Marine Corps regulars trained on the island in 1949.Learn more about Military