How Do You Get Low-Income Housing Help for People With Disabilities in North Carolina?


Quick Answer

Low-income housing help for people with disabilities in North Carolina is available through the state's Housing Finance Agency. The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency is part of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD, program, which provides federal funding for disabled and low-income individuals.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency provides a tool on its official website that lists affordable apartments. These apartments are financed by the agency and are privately owned. Occupants living on Supplemental Security Income can receive rental assistance to make the units more affordable.

Disabled individuals may also find transitional housing or supportive housing through the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency. The agency's Displacement Prevention Program helps disabled homeowners pay for home accessibility modifications, while the Urgent Repair Program funds repairs fix safety hazards.

Low-income and disabled individuals in North Carolina can also contact a local housing authority to determine if they are eligible for HUD housing assistance. This assistance may include applying for the Housing Choice Vouchers program, which is commonly referred to as Section 8. This program provides tenants with vouchers that cover all or a portion of their rent. However, HUD advises that some housing authorities can have long wait lists.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions