What Kinds of Government Programs Are There for Kids?


Quick Answer

Government programs for kids include Women, Infants and Children, the National School Lunch Program, Child Support Enforcement and Head Start. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture are two federal agencies that have programs geared towards kids.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Department of Agriculture runs Women, Infants and Children and other nutrition programs. The Department of Health provides child support and health insurance coverage.

Women, Infants and Children offers supplementary nutrition assistance to qualifying low-income women with a child under the age of 5, mainly through food acquisition assistance, nutrition education and health care referrals. WIC also promotes breastfeeding.

Some USDA programs aim at providing nutritional assistance to impoverished school kids. These programs include the National School Lunch Program, the School Breakfast Program and the Special Milk Program. Participating schools receive assistance to provide low-cost or free food to qualifying children and, in turn, must meet federal nutrition requirements. The Child and Adult Care Food Program takes care of the kids' needs after school by taking meals to homeless shelters and participants in qualifying after-school programs.

Programs from the Department of Health and Human Services include Child Support Enforcement and Head Start, the latter being geared towards disadvantaged children by providing them with educational, social, health and nutritional services. The Social Security Administration provides special child benefits, and the Child Welfare Information Gateway runs adoption services that place children in stable homes.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions