What Information Do You Typically Need to Fill Out Change of Ownership Forms?


Quick Answer

Forms certifying a change in ownership vary depending upon the occupant's state and the type of property transferred. In California, all property transfers require a preliminary change-in-ownership form that requires information such as the assessor's parcel number, name of the seller, phone numbers and email addresses for both parties, according to the Assessor County Clerk Recorder for Riverside County, California. Other information includes addresses for both parties and whether the property is a principal residence of either party, as well.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

A yes-or-no section for transfer information includes questions pertaining to pending lease agreements, whether the property has a solar energy system, and whether the transfer replaces a principal residence owned by a severely disabled person. This form request information specific to land and housing transfers, explains the ACR. Other information required includes the date of transfer, purchase price and terms of sale. It requires signatures from all parties, and it itemizes property rights to the buyer, such as water, timber or mineral rights. Other change-of-property forms required by California include those for the death of a property owner, a statement for the request, and forms for damaged property and new construction, as of 2015.

Typically, the person who records the deed for the purchased property also files the change of ownership form, according to the California State Board of Equalization. The form typically consists of a two-page questionnaire, and if the purchaser does not file a preliminary change-of-ownership form, he must file a statement and he may be charged a fee.

Learn more about Law

Related Questions