How Do You Find Immigration Lawyers in the U.K.?


Quick Answer

The respective law societies of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland provide lists of U.K. lawyers on their websites. On the Law Society of England website, for example, you can select immigration as the area in which assistance is required, then search by location.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Instead of consulting with an immigration lawyer, you can get assistance from an immigration adviser. The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner regulates immigration advisers in the United Kingdom and requires that they meet certain standards. Along with an online location search tool, a complete alphabetical list of immigration advisers is available to browse.

All immigration advisers in the United Kingdom must register with a professional body such as the Law Society, according to Gov.UK. They are assigned a level based on the kind of work they are allowed to perform. Level 1 advisers assist with simple matters, such as entry clearance. Level 2 advisers may take on larger cases, such as detention and asylum claims. Level 3 advisers may do everything that level 1 and 2 can, but I they can also represent you at an immigration tribunal.

A list of people and companies who have been prohibited from practicing as immigration advisers is available on the Government of the United Kingdom website.

Learn more about Law

Related Questions