What Identification Is Needed for USCIS Immigration Services?

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requires that employees provide documents to their employers that prove both identity and eligibility to work in the United States. "List A" documents, which prove both identity and work eligibility, include a U.S. or foreign passport, a permanent resident card, a visa or an employment authorization card. "List B" documents, which prove identity only, include a driver's license, a voter-registration card or a school ID with a photo.

Employees who present identity-only documentation from List B must provide additional documentation to prove their work eligibility, states USCIS. An unrestricted U.S. Social Security card, a certificate of birth abroad or certificate of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State are acceptable for this purpose. Other acceptable documents include an original or certified birth certificate issued by a state, county or municipal authority bearing an official seal, a Native American tribal document or a U.S. Citizen ID Card issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Certain individuals who present a List A document, such as exchange visitors or certain non-immigrant students, must also present additional identification, according to USCIS. For example, a foreign student in F-1 visa status who is considering a paid internship must work in his designated field of study and submit a form I-20 that has been completed by a designated school official. Additionally, exchange visitors who hold a J-1 visa must present an unexpired foreign passport, a Form DS-2019, a valid Form I-94 indicating nonimmigrant status and a letter or other documentation from the official program sponsor in order to work legally in the United States.