What Housing Services Are There to Help the Homeless?


Quick Answer

Several homelessness programs by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provide housing services, such as Continuum of Care and Rural Housing Stability Assistance. Other homelessness programs include Emergency Solutions Grants and Title V.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Continuum of Care program supports local nonprofit providers to rehouse the homeless and to reduce the dislocation caused to communities, families and individuals. The Rural Housing Stability Assistance program prioritizes counties with a small population of 5,000 residents or less. Emergency Solutions Grants program funds are given to urban counties and metropolitan cities for homelessness prevention, emergency shelter, rapid re-housing help, street outreach, and management information systems.

Title V allows eligible groups to use underutilized or excess Federal properties as assistance facilities for homeless individuals and families. The Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing program is a partnership between the HUD and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This program offers housing choice voucher, outreach and case management for homeless veterans.

The Salvation Army also provides housing services to help the homeless. The organization has emergency shelters, group homes and transitional living residences that provide food, accommodations and overnight stays to those who need it. Families that have temporal needs can take advantage of family service programs that assist both individuals and families with utility assistance, emergency food and housing.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions