The Eagle, Globe and Anchor, the U.S. Marine Corps logo, traces its roots to the designs and ornaments of the early Continental Marines as well as the United Kingdom's Royal Marines. It originally consisted of an anchor tangled in its rope, called a "fouled anchor." The logo in its modern form, adopted in 1955, differs only slightly from the design approved by the secretary of the Navy in 1868.
The Eagle, Glove and Anchor consists of a fouled anchor, a globe featuring the Western Hemisphere, and an eagle with spread wings. Since its inception in 1868, the logo has been part of the U.S. Marine uniform, and the general design is thought to derive from the Royal Marines' Globe and Laurel.
Brigadier General Jacob Zeilin appointed a board to create and approve the emblem in 1868, and it was adopted that same year. A different logo created in 1859 for the officer's dress uniform insignia used the first version of same color scheme as the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.
In 1954, the commandant of the Marine Corps, General Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr., requested a new design, and an American bald eagle replaced the crested eagle of the 19th-century design. U.S. President Eisenhower approved the design on June 22, 1954. The ribbon clasped in the eagle's beak, which bears the Latin motto "semper fidelis," was also part of the 1868 design.