What Government Services Are Available to Help Pay Your Rent?


Quick Answer

Government services for rental assistance include privately owned subsidized housing, the housing choice voucher program, where the renter selects the property, and government owned and managed public housing. Local governments may also provide information on affordable rentals, help with utility bills and assistance for renters with special needs.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Government rental assistance is available to low-income individuals or families, senior citizens and the disabled. Qualified renters are placed on a waiting list and preference is given to the homeless or involuntarily displaced, those living in unsafe conditions and those paying more than 50 percent of their income for rent.

In subsidized privately owned rentals, the qualified renter chooses among identified properties and is charged lower than market rent. The owner receives payments directly from the federal government subsidizing the rent being paid by the tenant. A qualified renter may also select a property or have their current residence evaluated for health and safety compliance to qualify for the housing choice voucher program through which the government pays a portion of the rent directly to the landlord.

Most government supported rental assistance is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and administered by local public housing agencies.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions