Does the Government Offer Funeral Grants?


Quick Answer

The government offers funeral grants in the form of government employees funds and for special tragic circumstances, as stated by The Law Dictionary. Funds can come from several departments of the government, and the specific department needs to be contacted for funding.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Different departments of the government may have special grants to pay employee’s family funerals if the employee can prove economic hardship, The Law Dictionary states. For example, Social Security is the primary program for expenditures for a family member’s death. Surviving spouses are entitled to a lump sum death benefit for funeral costs, and the spouse and children are entitled to monthly Social Security checks. Additionally, the different branches of the armed forces and the Department of Veteran Affairs offer assistance to immediate families who can prove economic hardship. Other government departments that provide assistance include police departments, the Department of Justice, the Federal Emergency Management Association and the Department of State.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions