Is There a Government Assistance Program for the Elderly?


Quick Answer

The federal government offers eligible seniors health care assistance in the form of Medicare and Medicaid. Medicaid provides care to low-income and disabled persons, while Medicare provides coverage for Americans age 65 and older.

Continue Reading
Is There a Government Assistance Program for the Elderly?
Credit: David Jakle Image Source Getty Images

Full Answer

Other forms of assistance available to seniors from federal programs include Programs for All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly, or PACE, and the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP. PACE provides medical, social and rehabilitative services for seniors that meet certain eligibility standards for nursing home care. LIHEAP provides grants to low-income individuals to assist with heating and cooling costs. Americans age 60 and older are also eligible for free tax return preparation assistance from IRS-trained volunteers.

Learn more about Social Services
Related Videos

Related Questions