What Are Some Forms Typically Needed for a Divorce?


Quick Answer

The forms typically needed for a divorce include a petition or complaint for divorce, an affidavit that states why the marriage has broken down, and a certificate of divorce, according to the Massachusetts Court System. The specific forms vary by state and the conditions of the marriage. In Massachusetts, people with children under age 18 must also file an Affidavit of Care and Custody and a worksheet that lays out child support guidelines.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Special circumstances often require additional divorce forms. The Massachusetts Court System states that couples who do not want to adhere to the standard child support rules must file a Child Support Guidelines Deviation form. A person who needs a court order to govern children or finances before a hearing must file a Motion for Temporary Orders.

In California, one person in the marriage or domestic partnership must file a petition to initiate the divorce, along with a Summons form that alerts the other partner, according to The Judicial Branch of California. In addition, the filing person is required to submit a Proof of Service of Summons form to the court system. If the couple has minor children, the filing partner needs to fill out forms FL-105 and GC-120, the Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act.

Learn more about Law

Related Questions