How Do You Get Financial Assistance If You Have Trouble Paying Bills?


Quick Answer

In the United States, if you have trouble paying bills, you can apply for financial assistance from the Federal Communications Commission's Universal Service Fund for telephone bills and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program for home energy costs, as of 2015, according to USA.gov. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or welfare, is also available for qualifying applicants.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If you are struggling with bills related to housing, food or child care, visit your local Temporary Assistance for Needy Families office to apply for financial assistance, as stated by USA.gov. The TANF program may also be able to help with home energy bills and job-training costs.

There are state and federal programs available to assist people who cannot afford medical bills, notes USA.gov. State human/social service agencies provide direct aid, as well as referrals to organizations that may be able to provide assistance. People with low incomes may seek financial assistance for medical bills at state Medicaid offices, and the Local Department of Veterans Affairs may provide financial assistance to veterans.

If you are on Social Security or Medicare, you be able to receive financial assistance for medical bills from Local Social Security Administration offices, states USA.gov. Medicare recipients may also want to contact the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Visit official government websites for assistance in contacting or locating specific organizations.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions