How Do You File for Extended Unemployment Compensation?

file-extended-unemployment-compensation Credit: MarkgrafAve/iStock / Getty Images Plus/Getty Images

To file for extended unemployment compensation, first contact your state's unemployment office to determine if they allow extended benefits, as per the "periods of high unemployment" rule. Once you receive an official notice that your initial benefits have expired, apply for extended benefits by filling out any paperwork your state's office requires.

When you file these forms at your state's unemployment office, submit them with any extra paperwork or documentation that is required. Call ahead of time to ask about what you need to submit to expedite the process and get an answer as soon as possible. Apply at the same office where you applied for the initial benefits, if there are multiple offices in your city. If your application is denied, you have the option to file for an appeal through the unemployment office or through a personal lawyer.

Some states do not offer extended benefits, while other states only issue these benefits during particularly hard times. This policy is intended to prevent the abuse of benefits and motivate people to secure employment quickly. Some states offer extended benefits for anyone who needs them and at any time. If your state has extended benefits, you have to wait to apply until your initial benefits run out to ensure you do not receive overlapping benefits. As of 2015, extended benefits last for up to 13 weeks.