How Do You File a Complaint With the Department of Human Services?


Quick Answer

You can file a civil rights complaint through the website for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which is HHS.gov. The department provides different complaint forms you can use to forward complaints against health care providers, local and state government agencies and even, under limited circumstances, HHS programs themselves.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

As of 2015, you can file a complaint by mail, email, fax or online submission through the department's Office of Civil Rights online complaint portal. A Civil Rights Discrimination Complaint Form Package is available from OCR regional offices. If you choose to file a complaint, it must be within 180 days of when you became aware of the incident you are complaining about. The OCR extends this time frame only under limited circumstances. If mailing a complaint, send it to the specific OCR regional office within the jurisdiction where the offense took place.

You must specify the parties involved and the nature of the act in question. Name the agency and the individual(s) who committed the act and describe the act in detail. As Civil Rights laws prohibit retaliation against those individuals who file a civil rights complaint, the OCR also accepts complaints of retaliation perpetrated by the accused person or agency.

The OCR website provides contact information for those who have questions or need help completing their written complaints.

Learn more about US Government

Related Questions