How Do You File a Complaint Against Portfolio Recovery Associates?


Quick Answer

Consumers can file a complaint against Portfolio Recovery Associates, or any other collection agency, by contacting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau through its official website. The Attorney General's office for each state can also help consumers whose rights are violated, states the FTC.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Debtors who want to make an official complaint through the CFPB can file online and receive automatic updates. The CFPB notifies Portfolio Recovery Associates of the complaint and asks the company for a response. Once Portfolio Recovery Associates responds, the consumer can view the response and give feedback. The CFPB compiles complaints and sends the information to law enforcement, notes the CFPB.

A valid complaint against Portfolio Recovery Associates would demonstrate that the company violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The FDCPA prevents collection agencies from illegally making false statements or harassing debtors, explains the FTC. For example, collection agencies cannot threaten debtors with arrest. Debt collectors cannot claim they will sue or garnish a consumers wages unless they have legal standing and intend to do so. Collection agency employees may not make threats or use obscene language.

Consumers can sue Portfolio Recovery Associates, through the state or federal court system, if the company violates the FDCPA. Even if plaintiffs cannot prove damages, judges may award them up to $1000 in addition to court costs and attorney fees, according to the FTC.

Learn more about Debt Law

Related Questions