How Do You File a Claim for a Veteran's Death Benefits With the VA?


Quick Answer

Filing a veteran's death benefit claim requires filling out the correct form and mailing it to the regional Department of Veterans Affairs office, enlisting the help of an accredited representative or going to the regional VA office to apply in person, states the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Surviving family members must fill out VA Form 21P-530 for burial benefits, says Military.com. Burial benefits may be up to $2,000 for both the funeral and a plot for a service-related death, $300 for the funeral and $745 for a plot for a nonservice-related death, and $745 for a funeral and $745 for a plot for a veteran that died in a VA hospital. The veteran must not have been dishonorably discharged. Surviving spouses and children must fill out VA Form 21-534, and parents must fill out VA Form 21-535 for dependency and indemnity benefits, explains the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Dependency and indemnity benefits are tax-free benefits paid to surviving spouses, parents and unmarried children under 18 or under 23 if attending school. For a veteran who did not die in active duty, his surviving family members must show that he died from a service-related injury or disease, or that he was eligible for VA compensation for a service-related total disability. Surviving family members must provide proof of one of these conditions along with their application, says Military.com.

Learn more about Law

Related Questions