Does the Dream Act Allow Students With Immigrant Status to Apply for Federal Financial Aid?


Quick Answer

The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act allows legal permanent resident students to receive some forms of federal financial aid, according to the American Immigration Council. Students can receive federal work study and student loans but are not eligible to receive federal student grants under the DREAM Act.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

As of 2015, students can also acquire financial aid from individual states without any restriction from the federal government. Some states have passed legislation to provide undocumented students in-state college tuition rates for public university, explains the American Immigration Council. The DREAM Act does not force concessions or prohibit individual states from making any concessions regarding in-state tuition, reports the National Immigration Law Center website.

Learn more about Immigration

Related Questions