How Do You Download a Copy of a DD-214?

Most military service records, including DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, are available in paper form only online at You can request military records by clicking the Veterans' Service Records link on the home page.

Next, select the Request Personnel and Medical Records Online link under the Request Military Service Records heading on the landing page. The request is made online via the Submit Your Request Online with eVetRecs link.

You can also request military records by mail or fax using Form SF-180. Information is available by clicking the Submit Your Request by MAIL or FAX Using the SF-180 Form link. The page also provides details about submitting a written request via letter rather than Form SF-180.