How Do You Get a Copy of Your High School Diploma?


Quick Answer

Though details vary by state, former students must typically request a copy of their high school diplomas through the home office of the district where they attended school. While most are provided in a timely manner, records from distant years may require an additional period for processing.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

  1. Locate the home office of the district

    When the school attended has been closed or consolidated, alums are urged to contact the Department of Education for the state where the institution was located to see who is now in charge of such records.

  2. Apply in person or by mail

    Individuals in close proximity to the district office may stop by with proper identification and pay the associated fee immediately. Those unable to do so may ask for a form to submit the request by mail.

  3. Wait for the submission to be processed

    Former students who do not receive their diploma within the specified wait period are encouraged to contact the district to check on the status of their request.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions