How Do I Get a Copy of DD214 Paperwork?


Quick Answer

A DD214 is a military record of veterans who served in the U.S. armed forces, and it can be obtained with an online application through the military records section of the National Archives site or by faxing or mailing a completed SF-180 form. If the DD214 is requested online, a signature is still required and should be mailed or faxed to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Mo.

Continue Reading
How Do I Get a Copy of DD214 Paperwork?
Credit: John Moore Getty Images

Full Answer

The DD214 can only be requested by the veteran the records cover or the veteran's immediate next-of-kin. Next-of-kin can include the veteran's mother, father, nonremarried widow or widower, sister, brother, or child. Records of veterans from 62 or more years ago are open to the public. There is a fee for records that are less than 62 years old. This fee ranged from $25 for a record of five pages to $0.80 a page for records of prominent veterans as of 2014. Responses to DD214 requests typically take about 10 days, but records that have to be reconstructed, most commonly due to a 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center that destroyed between 16 to 18 million record files, may take up to six months or more to deliver.

Learn more about Military
Related Videos

Related Questions