How Do You Change Your Name After Marriage With the Social Security Administration?


Quick Answer

To change a name after marriage, an individual must submit a completed application for a social security card, proof of identity and a copy of the marriage certificate, states the Social Security Administration. Completed applications and documentation can be mailed or submitted in person to the local Social Security Office.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The marriage certificate must be the original or a certified copy. Copies are not accepted, advises the Social Security Administration. If the individual has not already established citizenship, she must also send proof of citizenship. Acceptable documents include a passport or birth certificate. Acceptable documents to prove identity include a driver's license, passport or state identification card. If these are not available, the Social Security Administration may ask to see a social security card, military or employee identification or health insurance card.

Failure to complete a name change with Social Security may result in rejected tax returns and cause problems with payroll and retirement benefits, advises Bankrate. After changing their name with the Social Security Administration, individuals should get a new driver's license and change their name on payroll and benefit accounts.

Next, individuals can change their name with all other accounts, including bank accounts, credit cards, loan holders, and insurance and investment accounts, states Bankrate.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions