How Can Veterans Get Help Filling Out VA Applications?


Quick Answer

Veterans can get help filling out Veterans Administration applications at Vet Centers, VA health facilities, and regional, state and county VA offices, reports the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. They can also find a representative to help them manage claims using a search engine on the EBenefits.VA.gov website. A number of veterans service organizations assist veterans in filing VA claims, states the National Resource Directory.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To locate the representative search engine, veterans can select Manage in the toolbar at the top of the EBenefits.VA.gov website and click on VA Representative. The search engine allows veterans to choose a representative from a veterans service organization, an attorney or a claims agent. The law does not allow veterans service organizations to charge fees.

Attorneys and claims agents cannot charge fees for preparing claims. They can charge reasonable fees only after the VA has made decisions on claims, and the VA pays the attorneys or agents directly from past-due benefits it awards veterans.

Veterans service organizations that help veterans fill out VA applications include AMVET, the American Legion, the Armed Forces Services Corporation, Disabled American Veterans and Vietnam Veterans of America, explains the National Resource Directory. A number of organizations specializing in help for specific ethnic groups help veterans with their claims, including the Italian American War Veterans of the USA and the Polish Legion of American Veterans.

Learn more about Military

Related Questions