How Can You Get Your VA Certificate of Eligibility?

How Can You Get Your VA Certificate of Eligibility?

To get a VA Certificate of Eligibility, you need to gather proof of eligibility, fill out an application, and send in your form and proof. A VA Certificate of Eligibility allows current, retired or discharged service members and their surviving spouses to get a VA-backed home loan. The benefits of a VA-backed home loan include a lower interest rate, smaller down payment and no private mortgage insurance.

  1. Gather your proof of eligibility

    You need proof of eligibility, which varies depending on which category you fall under. For example, an active-duty service member needs only a current statement of service, while a surviving spouse needs VA form 21-534, a DD214, a marriage license, and a death certificate or DD Form 1300 Report of Casualty.

  2. Fill out an application

    Service members and veterans can apply online. Surviving spouses must apply by mail. Service members and veterans need to use VA Form 26-1880 Request for Certificate of Eligibility, while surviving spouses need to use VA Form 26-1817 Request for Determination of Loan Guaranty Eligibility.

  3. Send in the form

    Mailed forms need to be sent to VA Loan Eligibility Center. As of 2014, applicants must send forms and supporting documents to Attn: COE (262), P.O. Box 100034, Decatur, GA 30031.