Where Can I Turn If I Need Help Paying Rent?


Quick Answer

USA.gov recommends contacting a state housing finance agency or local public housing authority for information regarding assistance with rent payments. These types of agencies have information regarding housing assistance programs in state and local regions. A secondary resource is the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office, which can provide information about rent assistance programs, tenant rights and housing counseling.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

USA.gov also notes that veterans can contact the Department of Veterans Affairs to inquire about rental assistance, and the elderly can contact the Eldercare Locater, which is run by The Administration on Aging. This service provides information on programs designed to help senior citizens. Rural residents can contact the local Rural Development (RD), and people with disabilities can find information on housing assistance through disability.gov.

The state human services office may also have information on programs that might provide assistance. The website HUD.gov can also offer a helpful resource. This website offers resources to find privately owned subsidized housing, which is available to those who qualify. HUD gives owners of apartment buildings the option to join this program, and those who join are listed on HUD's website. HUD.gov also offers information on public housing for low-income families and housing voucher programs.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions