How Can You Search for Unclaimed Cash Held by the Federal Government?


Quick Answer

Search for unclaimed cash held by the federal government via the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, National Credit Union Association, Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation and other federal organizations. Because there is no central federal website to search for unclaimed cash, you must search each organization's website individually.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has a search engine you can use to find unclaimed funds from insured deposits of failed banks. The National Credit Union Association has a list of unclaimed deposits from credit union members. On the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation website, you can search for unclaimed pensions by participant or company names. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has a list of investors for whom it is holding funds after enforcement actions. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has a database of homeowners who are owed refunds for FHA-insured mortgages.

The Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor maintains a database of employees for whom it is holding back-wages. Contact the Internal Revenue Service to search for unclaimed or undeliverable tax refunds. You can also search the Treasury Hunt database of the U.S. Department of the Treasury for unclaimed savings bonds that no longer earn interest.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions