Can You Search for Social Security Numbers by Name?


Social Security numbers can't be searched for by name. If a Social Security card has been lost or stolen, the person, or parent or guardian of a minor, must apply for a new card in person.

To obtain a replacement Social Security card, proof of citizenship and identity must be provided to the Social Security Administration. The SSA accepts either a U.S. birth certificate or passport for proof of citizenship. Documents accepted for proof of identity include a current state driver's license, a state ID card or a U.S. passport.

A U.S. passport can also be used as proof of citizenship and identity for a child. If the child does not have a passport, the SSA will accept a birth certificate to establish citizenship and a card with the child's picture, date of birth and parent's names for identity.