Can You Request a Discharge From the Military to Look After a Sick Parent?


Quick Answer

A military service member may apply for a hardship or dependency discharge to care for a sick parent, spouse or family member. A service member may receive an honorable discharge, a transfer to inactive reserves or reassignment closer to home.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Hardship and dependency conditions are based on the financial, emotional and physical needs of the family. An applicant for hardship or dependency discharge must provide complete documentation proving his presence is likely to improve the situation at home significantly, and no one else can provide the same help. Each service branch outlines the documentation required. The person experiencing hardship or dependency must provide detailed supporting statements.

Learn more about Military

Related Questions