How Can You Report Senior Citizen Abuse?


Quick Answer

As of 2015, call the Adult Protective Services agency that serves the area in which the senior citizen resides to report elder abuse, or call 911 if the senior citizen is in immediate danger, as the Administration on Aging advises. Find contact information for local agencies through the Eldercare locator or through the National Center on Elder Abuse page for state resources.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If the suspected abuse is happening in an assisted living facility or nursing home, contact the long-term care ombudsman, as the Administration on Aging explains. Be prepared to provide the protective services agency or emergency responder information about the senior citizen, such as the individual's name, address and information about the nature of the abuse. The agency or emergency services worker might also ask about the senior citizen's medical conditions, state of mind and family information.

Adult Protective Services is usually the first responder in cases of elder abuse allegations, according to the National Center on Elder Abuse. The agency investigates allegations of adult abuse, neglect and exploitation. If the agency finds a reason for concern, it develops a case plan and notifies other authorities when necessary. Whether or not the agency finds evidence of abuse or neglect, the agency provides supportive services for senior citizens and other vulnerable adults.

Learn more about Crime

Related Questions