Who Can I Report Harassing Bill Collectors To, Especially Ones Who Don't Identify Themselves?


Quick Answer

According to the Federal Trade Commission, bill collectors who harass customers can be reported to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the office of the state attorney general or the FTC. State debt collection laws regarding harassment vary from state to state, but the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies nationwide.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau explains that debt collection harassment includes the use of repetitious phone calls designed to annoy people, obscene language, threats of violence and refusing to provide information about who they are. Anyone harassed by a debt collector should keep complete records regarding the harassment, including dates and times of phone calls and topics discussed. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or CFPB allows consumers to report harassment online at consumerfinance.gov or by phone at 855-411-CFPB.

Learn more about Is This Illegal?

Related Questions