How Can You Get a Replacement Citizenship Certificate?


Quick Answer

Individuals seeking replacement citizenship certificates should fill out and submit the Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, also known as Form N-565, to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, explains the organization's website. Depending on the reason for replacement, applicants may be required to pay a fee.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Applicants are required to pay a fee when replacing mutilated or lost citizenship certificates, explains the USCIS. Individuals who need replacements as a result of legal alterations to their names, dates of birth or genders must also pay a fee. However, no payment is required if the need for replacement arises due to clerical errors by USCIS staff. Additionally, there are no charges for applicants who require replacements because their current certificates contain information differing from the facts recorded in their citizenship or naturalization applications.

Individuals seeking replacement certificates may be required to submit additional material such as recent color photographs, explains United States Citizenship. If a replacement is necessary because the original certificate is mutilated, it should also be submitted. Generally, the process of replacing a citizenship certificate takes four to five months.

As of June 2015, the filing fee for Form N-565 is $345, states the USCIS. Applicants should adhere to the filing instructions that accompany each set of documents. Immigration authorities may reject or return incorrectly filled applications or those without the required supporting documents, warns United States Citizenship.

Learn more about Immigration

Related Questions