How Can You Replace an SSI Award Letter If It Is Lost?


Quick Answer

If you receive Supplementary Security Income, replace a lost proof of award letter, also known as a benefit verification letter, by creating or logging onto your mySocialSecurity online account and requesting one. Alternatively, request one by phone by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To set up a personal mySocialSecurity account, you must be at least 18 years old and have a Social Security number, a U.S. mailing address and an email address. Go to the SSA.gov main page, click on the mySocialSecurity icon, and click on Create an Account in the middle of the page. Click on Create an Account again, read the terms of service, check the box to agree to the terms, and click on Next. Create a user name and password, provide the requested personal information, and log in. By law, you cannot allow anyone else to use the account or access your personal information.

The benefit verification letter provides proof that you are receiving Supplementary Security Income when you apply for assisted housing and other benefits. You can also use it to prove age and disability or retirement status. When you access and request an online benefit verification letter, you can choose what personal information you keep in or leave out of it.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions