Can the Public Access Information About Discharged Military Personnel?


Quick Answer

Military personnel records become available in the public domain 62 years after a military service member’s discharge, retirement or death. A veteran can access his own records, and the next of kin of a veteran can request copies of a veteran's records from the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Researchers looking to find public domain records can request copies from NARA or can visit the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. The NPRC is the repository for military and civil service personnel records. All records requests are subject to Freedom of Information Act privacy exemptions that may limit or restrict access.

Learn more about Military

Related Questions