Can I Get a Passport If I Owe Child Support?


Quick Answer

When an excess of $2,500 in child support is owed, the person is not eligible to receive a United States passport. Payments must be made to the state in which the child support is owed prior to submitting an application for a passport.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Once a payment is made on the child support account, it can take up to three weeks before an application can be processed and a person's name removed from the list of people who owe back child support. The United States Department of State can answer no questions regarding child support arrears, and all questions should be directed to the child support enforcement agency in the area where the child support is managed.

Learn more about Child Support & Custody

Related Questions