How Can You Get Out of a Subpoena?

In order to legally get out of a subpoena, you must hire an attorney to respond to or challenge it in court on your behalf.

You or your attorney can object to the demands of the subpoena by sending the objection in writing to the counsel or other party that issued the subpoena. With a proper objection, a court order must be granted to ensure you comply with the subpoena.

With the help of your attorney, the subpoena can be squashed or modified in court under several circumstances, including that the subpoena requires you to travel more than 100 miles from your residence or fails to allow reasonable time for compliance.