How Can I Find Out If a Person Has Been Deported?

If a record of someone's deportation exists, it may be found in one of several places depending on the date of the action, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. Deportation files dated before April 1, 1944 may be found at the National Archives.

On April 1, 1944, the Immigration and Naturalization Service began keeping all paperwork related to a specific alien in single files called Alien Files, states USCIS. To get information about a deportation that occurred after 1944, a USCIS Freedom of Information Act request, or FOIA, is submitted to USCIS. The subject must have been born less than a hundred years ago and proof of death must be provided. The agency then supplies an Alien File number, and this may be used to request the file from the USCIS Genealogy Program, the FOIA program or the National Archives.

For information on the status of a person currently in the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement or a person released in the last 60 days, use the online database of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, explains USCIS. The person must be over 18, his country of birth must be selected, and his Alien File number must be entered.