How Can You Find Names of People Deported From America?

The names of people who were deported from the United States before April 1, 1944 may be available at the immigration case and correspondence files that, as of January 2016, the National Archives in Washington D.C. store as part of record group 85, explains U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Names of people deported after April 1, 1944 are available at the Immigration and Naturalization Service's alien files, or A-files.

Searchers seeking the names of deportees in the alien files of the INS need to either submit USCIS genealogy index search requests if the individuals in question were born over 100 years ago or submit Freedom of Information Act requests for subjects born less than a century ago, explains USCIS.

Deportee names for the period between 1906 and 1956 may be available at the Subject Index to INS Case and Correspondence Files, a searchable, digitized form of a historical INS database located at, notes USCIS. Every entry in the database references case-related material and has a number that matches a relevant file in the National Archives in Washington D.C. The institution also maintains a microfilm version of the database, the NARA microfilm publication T-458. However, because the microfilm version is organized by subject rather than individual names, tracking down a particular name is much harder.

Another way of finding deportee names involves sending index search requests to the USCIS genealogy program, states the organization's website. The program consists of a database of names referencing historical immigration records at the National Archives.