Where Can You Find a Free Lawyer for a Child Custody Case?


Quick Answer

A person needing a free attorney for a child custody case can locate pro bono attorneys through a local bar association, according to the American Bar Association. Many pro bono programs are community-based and take a limited number of cases, due to funding.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Pro bono attorneys generally help people whose income is 125 percent of the federal poverty level or less, or are victims of domestic violence, elderly, disabled or enlisted in the military. The American Bar Association shows the annual federal poverty guidelines on its website at AmericanBar.org.

Those who do not qualify for pro bono attorney programs can use a legal hotline, available in some states, through which attorneys offer legal advice and give referrals to attorneys in their area. The Center For Elder Rights Advocacy has a list of legal hotlines, by state, on its website at LegalHotlines.org.

Learn more about Child Support & Custody

Related Questions