Where Can You File Medical Board Complaints?

An official complaint against a physician can be filed with the licensing board or medical society for the state in which the physician practices, according to the American Medical Association. The AMA maintains a list of licensing boards for all 50 states on its website.

Prior to filing a complaint, it may be feasible to approach the doctor with the complaint, notes the AMA. Another option is to report the behavior to a physician’s practicing partner. In some instances, a group practice or hospital may have its own grievance mechanism that can be used to report unethical behavior or unprofessional conduct. If a complainant is unsure if an ethical violation occurred, the AMA recommends reviewing its Code of Medical Ethics, which is also published on its website.