Can You Go to Canada to Visit If You Have a DUI?

Entry to Canada with a prior DUI conviction is prohibited, according to U.S Customs and Border Control. A person with one DUI conviction may apply for a Temporary Resident Permit or petition to be deemed criminally rehabilitated by Canadian immigration authorities, as stated by

A Temporary Resident Permit is an option for people with only one DUI conviction and no other criminal charges. A TRP allows people with a valid reason for being in Canada to enter the country multiple times for up to three years. A TRP is the only option for people who have been convicted of a DUI within the past five years, as stated by

Criminal rehabilitation is an option when five years have passed since the completion of a single DUI sentence and there have been no other criminal convictions. Once approved for criminal rehabilitation a person does not have to reapply and is free to enter Canada. Convictions that are more than 10 years old may be disregarded by Canadian immigration authorities without needing to petition, according to

A person must volunteer conviction information to customs agents at the border. Failure to do so may result in an illegal entry charge, as stated by The Law Dictionary.