How Can You Get Assistance Paying for Heating Oil?


Quick Answer

Programs that provide heating assistance to families in need as of 2015 include the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program and the Citizens Energy Oil Heat Program. Eligibility requirements for these programs may vary from state to state.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

LIHEAP is funded by federal governments and helps lower income and struggling households pay their energy bills. Families who are in imminent danger of running out of heating oil or fuel can also get assistance.

LIHEAP provides assistance throughout the year, also offering assistance with cooling bills during the summer. Priority is usually given to households with a family member who is disabled, is frail or older, is a young child or is another vulnerable individual.

Depending on the state, LIHEAP offers additional services including weatherization improvements and upgrades, utility equipment replacement and repair and financial budgeting counseling. People who are not on welfare can also be eligible for the program.

The Oil Heat Program is a partnership between Citizens Energy and CITGO and provides fuel assistance in 24 states. The program delivers low priced or free heating oil and fuel to lower income and struggling families and provides assistance with paying winter heating bills. States where the Oil Heat Program operates include Washington DC, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Michigan, Alaska and New York.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions