What Are Some Assistance Programs for Veterans to Return to School?


Quick Answer

Assistance programs for veterans to return to school include the GI Bill (both the Post 9/11 and the Montgomery Bill), the National Call to Service Program, the Reserve Educational Assistance Program and the Veterans Educational Assistance Program, as of 2015. Some of these programs provide educational benefits to a veteran's dependents as well.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers training and higher education benefits to veterans who served in the military after Sept. 10, 2001. In some cases, veterans can transfer these benefits to a spouse or to dependents. The Montgomery GI Bill assists veterans and reservists with help for certain education and training, along with those looking to receive higher education certificates and degrees.

Individuals who perform an allotted time of national service are eligible for the National Call to Service Incentive program. This Department of Defense program is administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Those who qualify to participate in this program can choose from incentives including a $5,000 cash bonus, the ability to repay a qualifying student loan up to $18,000, and an allowance for 12 months that is equal to the amount of a three-year monthly Montgomery GI Bill Active-Duty rate. Veterans can coordinate these benefits with Montgomery GI Bill benefits.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions