How Do You Apply for U.S. Weatherization Grants?


Quick Answer

An individual seeking weatherization assistance must apply through his state, territory or Indian tribal weatherization agency. Contact information and further details for these resources is available through the website for the U.S. Department of Energy Weatherization Assistance Program.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The U.S. government does not provide weatherization services directly to individuals. The U.S. Department of Energy works with states, territories and some Indian tribes by providing them with energy assistance grants. In this way, the governmental units decide how best to help improve the energy efficiency of the homes of low-income families. Contact information for the states, territories and tribes is available on the U.S. Department of Energy website.

For an individual to receive a weatherization grant, he must meet certain criteria established by his state, territory or tribe. Income is one of the primary factors in determining eligibility. Under DOE guidelines, a person who is eligible for either Supplemental Security Income or Aid to Families with Dependent Children is automatically eligible. Some states give preference to people over the age of 60, families with children and families that have disabled members. As of 2015, an estimated 20 to 30 million people in the United States are eligible for some sort of assistance, according to statistics noted at the U.S. Department of Energy website. Since 1976, more than 7 million individuals and families have received assistance through the weatherization program, reports the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy.

Learn more about Government & Politics

Related Questions