How Do You Apply for Section 8 Rental Assistance?


Quick Answer

To apply for Section 8 housing, submit an application to the housing authority that covers your area. While Section 8 housing is a federally-funded program, local Public Housing Authorities are the entities who manage the program.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

You can find information regarding your local Public Housing Authority, or PHA, on the official website of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, HUD.gov. Your local PHA advises you on how to begin the application process.

Section 8 housing is a program put into place by the U.S. Government to help low-income individuals and families find affordable housing. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development funds the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

There are certain criteria that must be met for a person or family to be eligible for Section 8 housing, and the eligibility is determined by your local Public Housing Authority, HUD advises. To assess eligibility, the PHA looks at total annual gross income and family size. Eligibility is also limited to U.S. citizens and certain categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. Generally, a family's income must not exceed 50 percent of the median income of the county or city in which the family chooses to reside.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions