How Do You Apply for a Rent Assistance Grant?

Renters can apply for rent assistance grants through agencies such as the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, state assistance programs or federal subsidized housing programs, notes HUD. They can also seek charitable grants through church charities, the Salvation Army, Society of Sr. Vincent De Paul, Modest Needs or local charities in their area.

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federal program that offers renters vouchers for part of their rent and utilities. It allows renters to choose their own privately owned housing and often covers the majority of rental costs. The program makes rent payments directly to landlords, so renters are only responsible for the difference in rent costs. Federal subsidized housing is public housing that the government owns. The subsidized housing program subsidizes rents so that low-income people can afford their housing costs. The federal government also sponsors privately-owned subsidized housing, which is funded through tax breaks to the apartment owner rather than through grants. Renters can apply for these programs through the following steps.

  1. Visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website
  2. All federal housing programs are listed on the department's website.

  3. Contact a public housing agency
  4. Public housing agencies are responsible for taking applications for Section 8 and subsidized housing. The HUD includes a list of local public housing agencies.

Many states also offer grants and subsidized housing, and some provide federal grants offered through the HOME program. Renters can apply for state subsidized housing by contacting the housing department in their state, reports Money Crashers.