How do you apply for immediate housing assistance?


Quick Answer

Immediate housing assistance is available through agencies such as FEMA and the Department of Housing and Urban development for the at-risk homeless, people living in extreme poverty and people who have lost homes as a result of natural disasters. Program descriptions and eligibility requirements are located at HUD.gov.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Many government-funded programs provide assistance to at-risk individuals such as the chronically homeless, people substantially below the poverty line and people who have lost homes to natural disasters. In 2009, the Housing Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing Act was signed, expanding existing housing programs as well as allocating funds toward emergency housing assistance. This act expanded several programs under the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the Continuum of Care Program and the Rural Housing Stability Assistance Program.

The Continuum of Care program regulates temporary homeless shelters, Section 8 single-room occupancy housing and the Supportive Housing Program. The Rural Housing Stability Assistance Program provides emergency housing assistance to those who are considered chronically homeless, namely high-risk individuals experiencing habitual homelessness with or without prior housing assistance. Basic eligibility requirements for these programs include being homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness. Those currently fleeing persecution or domestic violence are also eligible. More information on these programs, as well as applications and eligibility requirements, are located at HUD.gov under the Homeless Assistance tab.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions