How Do You Apply for Housing Grants As a Senior Citizen?


Quick Answer

Senior citizens can apply for housing grants by seeking out programs with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or their local housing authority, and they must provide their income and living status when they apply, states SFGate. The Department of Agriculture has programs in rural areas as well.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Senior citizens can apply through U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development programs that offer senior citizens with low income help in finding safe housing through the department's housing choice voucher program. This program assists participants with vouchers so they can pay for any housing they desire, as long as that housing meets HUD health and safety standards. This allows senior citizens to choose housing outside of subsidized housing developments, which may not provide applicants with the living conditions they need, explains SFGate.

Senior citizens can turn to their local housing authority to find programs to apply for, such as programs for low-income individuals who have incomes less than 80 percent of the median income of their county or city. Senior citizens can also turn to the Department of Agriculture if they live in a rural area, as there are programs that give grants for the repair and improvement of homes. Applicants must prove the home is in urgent need of improvement and repairs, says SFGate.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions