How Do You Apply for HEAP Online?


Quick Answer

Apply for the home energy assistance program, or HEAP, through the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance of New York State at myBenefits.gov if you live outside of New York City. Applications are only accepted at certain times of the year.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If you live inside New York City, contact the Local Department of Social Services to apply for assistance. The online application is for regular HEAP benefits only, and there is a 30-day period before a determination is made on the application. If you are scheduled to have your heat turn off, or if you have less than a quarter tank of fuel, less than a 10-day supply of fuel, or no fuel to heat your home, call your local Department of Social Services for further assistance. Contact your local Department of Social Services if your primary heating equipment is inoperable or is deemed unsafe and in need of repair or replacement.

You can also print your application; the link to the printable version is available online when the application period is open. Submit the printed application to your local county HEAP certifier. A list of certifiers is provided at the New York Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance website.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions