How Do You Apply for a Fiancée Visa?


Quick Answer

To apply for a fiancée visa, file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancée, explains the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The form is accessible on the department's website and must be sent by mail to the USCIS Dallas lockbox facility.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To petition for a fiancée visa, or K-1 nonimmigrant visa, the petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, notes USCIS. The petitioner and his fiancée must intend to marry within 90 days of the fiancée's entry into the United States. Both the petitioner and the fiancée must be legally free to marry and must have met each other face to face at least once within the two years prior to filing the petition. USCIS grants exceptions to this provision if the meeting requirement violates the fiancée's cultural or social practice or if the petitioner can prove the meeting requirement poses an extreme hardship.

Once the fiancée visa is issued, a petitioner's fiancée is permitted to reside in the United States for 90 days so the marriage ceremony can take place, states USCIS. Once married, the petitioner's spouse can apply for permanent residence. The spouse is allowed to remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application.

The fiancée's children, if under age 21 and unmarried, may be eligible to obtain K-2 nonimmigrant visas, according to USCIS. The fiancée may immediately request permission to work in the United States after admittance by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. The fiancée status automatically expires in 90 days and cannot be renewed. The fiancée is required to leave the United States if not married within that period of time, or face potential deportation.

Learn more about Immigration

Related Questions